When it comes to hair tools, a hair straightener is something that you need to invest in. It’s one of the tools that offer a quick and easy way to tame unruly, curly, or frizzy hair. All you need is to have high quality heated plates glide along the hair follicles, straightening your hair with every pass. But like any other hot styling tool, hair straighteners can cause damage to the hair if the quality is poor or the tools are improperly used. That’s why it’s important to check the quality and directions of the straightening tool before you can make a purchase.
Hair Straightener Buyer’s Guide 2017
With the numerous brands of flat irons and hair straightener brushes in the market, shopping for a hair straightener can be overwhelming. They are easily available in most of the electronic shops, hair salons, and supermarkets, in a variety of brands and shapes and sizes, so it’s not easy to pick the right device. That’s why we have researched key features that you should be looking at before deciding on spending your money on a specific hair tool. If you’re planning to shop for a straightener, there are critical factors that you need to consider. Here is our hair straightener buying guide:
1. Type of Plates
The plate type is one of the key factors that you need to consider if you are to buy the right straightener for your hair. Most important is to know the type of plates and the effects that they are likely to have on your hair. Here are some of the main types of plates and the effect they have on your hair.
- Ceramic Coated: These plates heat up quickly as they are excellent heat conductors. The material is also popular for heating evenly, making the straightening quite easy. It produces low friction between the plate and the hair, meaning less hair damage. With these plates, you will gain an added shine to your hair.
- Ceramic & Teflon Coated Plates: Teflon non-stick coating ensures that the hair glides through the plates without snagging. The material also prevents the build-up of styling products which usually causes snagging over time as well. It’s a great option to consider depending on your hair type.
- Solid Ceramic: This is one of the most popular plate types in the hair care industry. One of the main features that get most users excited is how it retains heat at a constant temperature and heating evenly throughout the entire styling process. These plates are also known to produce the smoothest and shiniest finish to hair.
- Tourmaline Ceramic Plates: these plates combine the benefits of ionic and infrared technology for healthy, more manageable hair. They work by generating negative ions to help lock in and preserve moisture and improve hair condition, whilst removing the static which is known for causing frizz. Tourmaline Ceramic Plates also emit the gentle infrared heat as they glide through the hair to add a more shiny finish.
- Ceramic Diamond Plates with Teflon: This is another high-performance plate type that you need to consider while shopping. It incorporates a smooth Teflon coating while the diamond material produces an incredibly smooth glide. The plates are known for their improved high even heat and reduction of the hot spots to protect your hair from damages.
2. Heat Up Time
This is the time taken for the plates to heat up to the desired temperature. This is an important factor to consider since it will determine the amount of time that you need to allocate to have your hair straightened. It’s better to buy a straightener that has a fast heat up time. If you have a busy schedule in the morning, a straightener with a fast heat up time will save you some time to do other things.
Temperature is a crucial feature that is mostly ignored by first-time buyers. Note that the higher the temperature, the better yield you are likely to get from the straightener. In fact, the higher the temperature, the better the quality of the straightening tool. But you must also ensure that the device can regulate the temperature depending on the type of the hair. The more the variable temperature settings the device has, the better it is. Straighteners with a digital display provide the highest accuracy and are more recommended.
4. Far Infrared Heat
If you aim to maintain healthy hair for a longer time, this is one feature that you need to consider seriously while shopping. Hair brush straighteners that come with this feature are able to heat the hair from the inside, and hence there is less damage. Also, heat is evenly distributed, yielding faster, quite fantastic results.
5. Plate Width
The choice of the ideal plate width and size is determined by your hair type and length. For short hairs, slim plate, 2.5 to 3 centimetres wide would the best choice. If you have short to medium hair, then you should go for the medium plates, 3 to 4 centimetres. Wide plates measuring up to 6 centimetres work best on long, thick hair. The trick is just to make sure that you have bought the type that will work for your hair.